Thursday 15 March 2012

Nightmares, Radio Spot (Trailer)

Just as I found researching radio trailers difficult, creating one was also surprisingly hard; I had to put a lot more thought into the choice of dialogue, sound and music than i'd originally expected.


I'm really pleased with the radio spot i've made, I think it hits the right tone and reflects the story and mood of 'Nightmares' just right. I also made the choice to lead the audience in the wrong direction however.
The radio trailer makes out that this could be a positively themed film, with the father asking "How'd you sleep?", and the daughter replying "Yeah, slept fine". The tone shifts completely however when the father comments: "Ivy, are you still having nightmares?"
I wrote accompanying music specifically for the radio spot, featuring 'Ivy's Theme' in a more orchestrated performance. The key of the piece then changes to minor once Ivy's dad makes the comment, and the stereotypical violin crescendo's play.

Logic Pro, my audio/MIDI sequencer!
The yellow lines indicate volume control, manipulated to accompany the music.

I quietened the music when Ivy and Nick are speaking, and boosted the volume when it was most important; the crescendo and revelation of nightmares. 
I decided only to do a little narration for the trailer, stating the title of the film, release date and age certificate. I also recorded the narration in a somber, deep tone, this way the audience aren't too distracted by the narration and I manage to maintain the tense atmosphere of the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment